A trip to very soggy Lake District means our flat is now full of wet camping gear reminding us that we really, really need to get this house finished soon! It was great therefore to have our first on site progress meeting this week. There were good discussions between the Design Team and Builder plus we also got to sit in the site office and leave mud on the floor which reminded me of going to work with Dad.Continue reading “A proper meeting and everything”
It’s fair to say the site now looks like a proper building site. Ground works have started and the first job was to strip back the top soil and lay temporary hardcore everywhere so the machinery doesn’t sink in the resultant mud. The rule of thumb appears to be “why lay one ton of hardcore when you can use three” so our idyllic bit of field is now sporting a new lookContinue reading “Quite a big mess”
If you’re a fan of Channel 4’s Grand Designs as we are, you will after a while begin to spot some common show themes:
- things always start well but by the second ad-break someone has picked up a life threatening disease / got pregnant / ground to a halt by Covid or been made redundant;
- they always run out of money;
- things miraculously come good in the last 10 minutes, and most importantly of all;
- it’s all going to go very wrong if you don’t have a good independent Project Manager.
Wait … hang on a minute … but we don’t have a project manager?Continue reading “Loose ends”
Just a quick message to say, no we’re not dead and the project is still progressing. We are waiting for the Builder to get back to us with a quotation, a process that has been a bit delayed by easter, suppliers and life in general. Hopefully not too much longer before we can agree the contract and actually start building!
No great leap of progress to report at the moment but many, many things are progressing. In no particular order the team have:
- designed out most of the new steel structure, replacing it with wood to dramatically improve the thermal efficiency of the building;
- lots and lots and lots of detailed drawings have been produced ready for the construction stage;
- we have agreed a plan for the perimeter fence with our Farmer neighbour;
- surreally work has started to select final room finishes including carpet and tiles;
- we have started prepping the party wall paperwork for our neighbours;
- our plywood kitchen is starting to firm up;
- a garden plan is coming together and …
… we have started negotiating with a Builder. More soon.